But away we went to Dillon's first day anyway. He was running the whole way from the car to his classroom, stopping only once or twice to see if we were still coming. Halle was following closely behind waving and greeting all the people she knew from the neighborhood, proud to be escorting her brother.
Halle was of course very upset that she wasn't starting school this year with him. I played up her preschool as much as I could, but even now it still comes up that she doesn't get to go to Dillon's school yet. She has what I call the "Jolene syndrome." My younger sister firmly believed that she was just as old as I was and therefore could do whatever I got to do, despite the two years in age difference. Halle is the same way and just figures if it's important enough for Dillon, it's important for her too. There's no way she's gonna get left behind if she can help it.



